Floor Sanding Sydney
Hardwood floors are resilient, lasting for decades. But there are some substances that can stain the floor surface. This is much more of an issue if the floor does not have a protective coating. A polyurethane coating will prevent most stains as liquids will not soak into the timber. But raw timber or colour stain treated timber is not protected in this way so stains can be an issue.
- Clean up any spill as promptly as possible
- Baking soda and vinegar will remove many dye stains on hardwood. Mix it to a paste and rub with a sponge.
- Dish detergent and warm water is fine for most food stains.Wash with a rag, then dry with a clean rag.
- Nail polish will respond to dish washing liquid. If not, try denatured alcohol.
- Acetone is sometimes useful for stains. But while it will not harm the wood it will damage finishes like polyurethane. So only use this on raw wood.
- Urine stains from pets or children can be removed, deodorized and sanitized with phenol solution.
- Permanent markers can be removed with isopropyl alcohol. This may take a few minutes. Remember to wash the alcohol away when finished.
Wet floors are a problem as the timber will soak up the water and warp. Use a damp mop only.
Avoid Steam mops which can also cause warping of wood.
Never use steal wool or anything abrasive. This will damage the floor.
Floor Sanding Northern Beaches
If solid timber floors are badly damaged they can be re-sanded to reveal an new layer of timber.